International Consultant | Researcher | Writer | Futurist
I have over two decades of experience conducting research and development, leading projects, writing, and delivering strategies in the fields of environmental security and governance, conservation, social and environmental entrepreneurship, and sustainable development. My regional expertise includes the US, Latin America, and Europe.
My vision for King’s Consulting is to advance causes in ways that are effective, conscientious, and innovative by conducting empirical research and offering creative, evidence-based strategic advice to support your goals. My work is interdisciplinary, integrating both the sciences and the social sciences to reveal potential futures for clients, society, and the environment.
I conduct in-depth research, analysis, write and advise on radically different, creative, and innovative solutions for leaders in the private, government, and non-profit sectors as well as for think tanks, social enterprises, and philanthropists. Highly educated, innovative, creative, and emotionally engaged, I use higher-order critical thinking skills to offer solutions to individual, organizational, social, and environmental challenges. I answer present- and future-oriented questions that inform the development of short- and long-term goals and strategies.
Strategic Advisory Services
- Conduct research and writing to support the development of short- and long-term strategies.
- Complete research and analyses of primary and secondary literature.
- Align individual and organizational goals, processes, and resource allocation with future strategies.
- Assess current and future trends and analyze their relationship to short- and long-term strategies.
- Conduct qualitative interviews and assess against quantitative metrics.
- Identify current and future threats and opportunities.
- Present findings, projections, and recommended actions.
- Consult on the implementation of evidence-based strategies.
- Support, facilitate, and guide senior executive decision-making processes and those implementing strategies and plans agreed.
Take your organization or cause further, faster. Get in touch to learn more about rates or various packages.
All philanthropic efforts of King’s Consulting are done through the COMMON Foundation which I founded in 2007. COMMON Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Boulder, Colorado.
United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) Environmental Law Institute (ELI) University of Tokyo-Armed Conflict and the Environment; IUCN Commission on Environmental Law; IUCN World Parks Congress; United States Southern Command; US Department of State; US Department of Defense; One Earth Future Foundation; Central American Commission on Environment and Development; Conservation International; US Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution; NOAA; Sea Grant College Program; UN Peacebuilding Commission; Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) Armed Conflict and Management Program; US Institute for Peace; Search for Common Ground; University of Illinois; Cure Violence; University of Colorado, Boulder; Living Oceans Foundation; Kinship Foundation; SRA International; World Watch Institute; University of Zamorano, Honduras; United States Army War College; National Defense University; Alex and Ana Bogusky’s Fearless Revolution; Dragons Global Education Fund; Sidney and Phyllis Krystal Foundation; Colorado Conservation Summit; George Washington University; COMMON; Mariposa Legal; and McGill University.
I have conducted research and developed strategies for private clients on a range of global topics, producing several publications along the way that include, but are not limited to:
- Environmental Governance and Peacebuilding in Post-Conflict Central America: Lessons from the Central American Commission for Environment and Development (Governance, Natural Resources, and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding (Paperback) Editors: Carl Bruch, Carroll Muffett, and Sandra S. Nichols (2016)
- Impact Accelerators Strategic Options for Development and Implementation (2015 Report)
- A Strategic Approach to Corporate Engagement in Violent Conflict Zones in Honduras (Cure Violence Private Report 2015)
- Should Biodiversity Offsets Help Finance Underfunded Protected Areas?, Journal of Biological Conservation: Volume 191, pp. 819–826, Oct 2015
- Strategic Market-Based Approaches to Coral Reef Ecosystem Conservation (Khalid bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation Private Report 2014)
- Governing for Sustainability: Understanding Governance 2014 World Watch Institute -State of the World: (Washington, DC: Island Press, 2014)
- Can Networked Governance Help? Apr 2014 publication description World Watch Institute – State of the World: Governing for Sustainability (Washington, DC: Island Press, 2014), pp. 36–37.
- Global Chorus: A 365-Person Anthology of Worldwide Concern and Enduring Hope 2014 (Book Contributor)
- Yoga, Global Sustainability and Personal Transformation Jun 6, 2014 Mantra Yoga + Health Magazine
- Food Security and Population Growth, One Earth Future Foundation Report (2013)
- Residential Fellowship Program Development, One Earth Future Foundation Report (2013)
- Addressing Corruption in Development, One Earth Future Foundation Report (2013)
- Solving the Globalization Paradox, One Earth Future Foundation Report (2013)
- Evolutionary Theories of Governance, One Earth Future Foundation Report (2013)
- Political Ecology of Mangroves in Southern Honduras: the emergence and evolution of environmental conflict in the Gulf of Fonseca 1973-2006 (VDM Verlag 2009)
- Sea Grant in Latin America: Adapting the US Sea Grant model of linked applied research, extension, and education to a Latin American Context—Is there a fit? May 2007 publication description Elsevier Publishing – Marine Policy Journal
- Sea Grant International: Final Report to the Department of State, Oceans Environmental and International Scientific Affairs Initiative Grant July 2004
- Sea Grant Internacional: Informe Final al Departamento del Estado Océanos e Iniciativa Ambiental y Científica Internacional de Los Asuntos July 2004
- A Network of Centers for the Governance of Coastal Ecosystems: The Establishment of Long-Term University-Based Marine and Coastal Resource Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean March 2004
- An Assessment of the Sea Grant Program Model of Extension, Education, and Applied Research in the Marine and Coastal Environment, A Revision of International Experience and Opportunities March 2004
- Integrating Education, Applied Research, and Extension; A Justification for Pilot Projects in the Gulf of Fonseca and Coastal Ecuador March 2004
- Watershed Management. Civil-Security Forces Environmental Cooperation in Central America and the Caribbean Conference Report; pp. 20-23, Belize City, Belize, Center for Strategic Leadership, United States Army War College, Carlyle, Pennsylvania. (2003)